Monday, August 22, 2011

Baby Quilt for Ashton

One of my friends from book club was pregnant with her second boy and I just really wanted to make a quilt for her!  I found this awesome tutorial at When Eight Create that I decided I wanted to use.


Well, I love the way the quilt ended up - made entirely with scraps (from mom's stash!) except for the white background.  I think if I were every to try this design again, I would make the squares bigger (these squares were TINY!) and I loved the square border, but it was just giving me a little bit of trouble.  It was my own fault - my 1/4" seams are a bit bigger than 1/4" so everything didn't line up quite right.  I just ordered a 1/4" foot for my machine, so that should help me in the future!


I hand quilted this with white embroidery floss in the white background.  My mom said I should stick to the white-on-white since it was my first time!  I love hand sewing, and it did take several nights to finish.  I would definitely hand embroider again, but only on a baby quilt!!!

It was also the first time I hand sewed my binding, and it really does make a difference to the finished look of the quilt!  I will only be doing hand stitched bindings in the future.


And my friend and new baby boy loved the quilt, so that's all that mattered!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about your quilt. I promise, the 1/4" foot will help you a ton!!! I am also happy that you tried your hand in sewing the binding by hand. I promise, it does go faster the more quilts that you do. I remember somebody saying that the could finish a lap quilt during a movie and I didn't believe them. The more you do, the faster it will go and the finished product is so much better. Thank you for commenting on my blog. It inspires me to continue on to post more. Now that school is in session I will be sewing more and I will blog everything that I post. As for you... GREAT JOB ON THE HAND QUILTING! If only I were so courageous, or patient....
    Darla
    When Eight Create

    ReplyDelete