Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Quilt for Baby Nicholas

My friend Jenn just had a baby boy!  But she didn't find out the sex of the baby before the birth.  So I was fretting about what to do and then I just decided to make a boy quilt.  I thought maybe I could masquerade it as a quilt for a girl with a different binding, but then I just decided I could save it for the next baby boy if she had a girl!  I was lucky!

I just decided to do a strip quilt with scraps from my stash.  It's kind of interesting, and I think it looks a lot better in person with all of the different prints than through a picture.  I just did straight line quilting on either side of the seams.  And I used a flannel backing.


I was a little annoyed because I don't pre-wash in general - I usually just use those color catcher sheets in the wash.  But the dark blue bled into one of the yellow strips :(  I guess I should start pre-washing, but it is just such a pain in the butt!


I still have the plus quilt as a WIP.  It has been sitting for about 2 months all cut out in piles and ready to be sewn together.  I don't think there are any babies coming in the next few months so hopefully I can get it together :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this stripey one! The colors are great and I just always love stripes. I do prewash fabric before sewing garments. Wherever the color bled it will probably wash out eventually. I bought a cute Euro brand cotton stretch jacket in red and white for Errol at a neighbor-clothing-rep's tag sale and was dismayed when the delightfully intensely pigmented red bled into the white areas. I'm glad I kept the jacket and used it anyway because after a few washings the red came out of the white.

    ReplyDelete